Information We Collect
- Name and contact details (for example, your e-mail address, mailing address, phone number and social media handle).
- Demographic data (such as your country, organization, and title).
- Preferences (such as which areas of the law you are interested in).
- Contents of your communications with us.
- Device information (including your, IP address, device type, and operating system)
- Website interactions (such as the pages visited on the website, time spent on each page, whether you’ve clicked on a hyperlink and search queries).
How We Use Your Information
SELG uses the information we collect in the following ways:
- Respond to your inquiries.
- Send you alerts or other newsletters that you have requested, or that we think may be of interest to you.
- Confirm your registration for seminars or other events.
- Send you other marketing or promotional information related to SELG, including news about our attorneys, practice groups and events.
- Send you service announcements or other administrative messages relating to our website or your relationship with SELG.
- Improve the website and our communications with you.
- Comply with our legal obligations, to enforce our website terms and other policies, and to prevent fraud.
When we have your consent, SELG uses the information we collect to:
- Respond to your inquiries: When you email us or submit a request for information through our website, we use your contact details to respond to those requests.
- Send you alerts, newsletters and other promotional messages: When you sign-up to receive our newsletters and other alerts, we use your contact information to send you these communications. If you’ve indicated an interest in an area of law, practice group or event, we may also send you information relevant to these interests You can opt-out receiving messages from us using the unsubscribe link in any email you receive.
- We also use your information for the following legitimate business interests:
- To send you service announcements or other administrative messages. We use your information to send you administrative or transactional messages regarding your use of the website or your relationship with SELG.
- To improve the website. We use your information to better understand how we can make the website and our communications with you more relevant and informative.
Who We Share Information With
- Our vendors. We share your information with vendors who work with us and provide our services on our behalf. For example, companies we hire to help us maintain the website, manage our mailing lists, provide marketing assistance and data analysis may need your information to provide those services. SELG requires these vendors to comply with our data privacy and security requirements and we prohibit those companies from using the personal information they receive from us for any other purpose.
- Law Enforcement. We will share your personal information when we have a good faith belief that doing so is required by law or is necessary to identify, contact or bring legal action against someone who may be causing injury to or interference with (either intentionally or unintentionally) our rights or property, other visitors, or anyone else that could be harmed by such activities.
- We will also share your information with third parties when you ask or consent to us doing so.
You have the right to:
- Access your information. You have the right to confirm whether SELG is using or storing your information and to obtain a copy of the information that we have.
- Correct/Edit your information. If you discover that any of the information we have about you is incorrect, you have the right to request that we correct or update it.
- Delete your information. If you withdraw your consent or otherwise object to our use of your information, you have the right to request what we delete your information.
- Restrict or limit the use of your information. You have the right to restrict how we use your information For example you may request that we not use your information for marketing purposes or certain types of marketing messages.
If you would like to exercise any of these rights, please contact us at [email protected]. If you are unhappy with our response, you have the right to file a complaint with your supervisory authority to other data protection authority in your jurisdiction.
If you are a California resident, you have the right to request certain information from us regarding the manner in which we share with third-parties certain categories of information that identify you.
Shine the Light
If you are a California resident, California Civil Code Section 1798.83 permits you to request information regarding the disclosure of your personal information to third parties for the third parties’ direct marketing purposes. SELG does not disclose your personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes.
We do not knowingly “sell,” as that term is defined under the California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”), the personal information of minors under 16 years old who are California residents.
Notice of Collection
For details on the information we collect, including the sources from which we receive information, and the business purposes for which we use it, review the “Information We Collect” and corresponding sections above.
Right to Know and Delete
Consumers who are California residents (and not representatives of businesses, whether those businesses are our clients or others) have the right to know certain information about our data practices in the preceding 12 months. In particular, they have the right to request the following from us:
- The categories of personal information we have collected about them;
- The categories of sources from which the personal information was collected;
- The categories of personal information about them that we disclosed for a business purpose or sold;
- The categories of third parties to whom the personal information was disclosed for a business purpose or sold; and
- The business or commercial purpose for collecting or selling the personal information.
In addition, in certain circumstances, California consumers have the right to delete the personal information we have collected from them.
To exercise any of these rights, California consumers should submit a request by emailing us at [email protected] (using the subject line “California Privacy Rights Request”). In the request, please specify which right you are seeking to exercise and the scope of the request. We will confirm receipt of your request within 10 days. We may require specific information from you to help us verify your identity and process your request. If we are unable to verify your identity, we may deny your requests to know or delete.
We keep your information for as long as you have an account on the website or until you tell us you no longer wish to receive emails, newsletters and other alerts from us. We keep information about your use of the website for as long as necessary for our legitimate business interests, for legal reasons, and to prevent harm.
Social Media and Technology
We provide links to websites, platforms, and services that we do not control for your convenience and information. In addition, we integrate technologies operated or controlled by separate entities into parts of our website. Some examples include:
- Links. Our website includes links that hyperlink to websites, platforms, and other services not operated or controlled by us.
- Brand Pages. We may offer our content through social media. Any information you provide to us when you engage with our content (such as through our brand page) is treated in accordance with this Privacy. Also, if you publicly reference our website on Social Media (e.g., by using a hashtag associated with SELG in a tweet or post), we may use your reference on or in connection with our website.
Other Important Privacy Information
We use technical and organization security measures to protect the information collected on our website. When information is transmitted to us it is protected by both a “firewall” (a combination of computer hardware and software that helps keep unauthorized visitors from accessing information within our computer network) and industry standard SSL (Secure Socket Layer) encryption. Unfortunately, no data transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. As a result, while we strive to protect your information, we cannot guarantee or warrant the security of any information you disclose or transmit to us online.
selg.com is not intended for use by children under 13. We do not knowingly collect personal information from anyone under 13 years of age. If you are under 13, please do not submit any personal information to us.
Where We Store and Process Information
SELG is a United States law firm with headquarters in New York. If you are located outside of the U.S., please be aware that when you share your information with us we will process it in the U.S. We transfer the personal information we collect to the U.S. for the purposes described in this statement. We rely on your consent and EU Commission approved model contractual clauses, which require certain privacy and security protections, to lawfully transfer personal information from the EU to the U.S.